3 Things I Hate Hearing About My Anxiety and Depression

Sure, there are a lot of things people with anxiety and depression hate hearing. As a person who fights both anxiety and depression daily I have 3 phrases that are the worst for me.

1. “It’s all in your head…”

Well yeah! And if you want to know what’s going on up there, I will gladly share that with you. A warning though, it ain’t that pretty. Anyway, I knew what you meant, and it’s not all in my head it’s real and it sucks. I wake up daily with a thousand thoughts running through my head. I would trade my self-doubt, my worry, my stress, my uneasy feelings, for just one normal day. Sadly, I don’t have that option, my brain doesn’t shut off.

2. “Stop thinking about it…”

This statement makes me laugh! If only it were that easy. I literally over analyze everything, and yeah it can make me go crazy. The thing is though, you’ll never see my struggle. I keep all my thoughts to myself just so you don’t freak out about them like I do. I wish I could turn all my thoughts off, if even for a minute but anxiety doesn’t work that way.

3. “It’s not a real illness…”

Oh, that’s awesome, I had no idea you were a doctor! Let me tell you this, in order to get the medication I take to help me, a doctor had to diagnose my anxiety and depression. Thank God she did because my meds are a lifesaver. Are they physical or life threatening? No, not really, but they do effect some everyday aspects of my life. For example: You may do just fine in overly crowded places, me on the other hand, I don’t. My heart races, my breathing quickens, and I want to run. That’s anxiety for ya. Another example is: You may be over joyed to go out and do something you’ve always wanted to do. Me I start to feel down and out of it just because I want to have fun. That’s depression for ya.

There’s plenty of other things I hear, but these are the phrases I hear the most. So, next time you think about saying one of these phrases, please stop and think. People with anxiety and depression can only handle so much and we already have our own issues going on in our heads.

What are some things you hate hearing as a person with anxiety/depression?

Free Bookmarks!

Subscribe and you'll get some awesome Nerdy Book Life Book Marks!

Share the Nerdiness!Share on Facebook0Share on Google+1Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest6

1. Luci Cook

May 4, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I pet peeve of mine is when people say, if you stop thinking about it you won’t have it anymore. That’s not true. I start thinking about other stuff when I stop thinking about another. Its like a little hamster on a wheel that just starts to spin when you are trying to fall a sleep.

May 4, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Exactly and I have way too many hamsters to handle!

2. Jenna Rodgers

May 4, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Whoever tells you these things, have no idea. And, the sad part is that they probably won’t until someone they love suffers from anxiety. I think you are so brave to share your story.

May 4, 2017 at 2:08 pm

A couple of these I actually get from my own family, and no they don’t really understand. Telling my story helps me with my fight 🙂

3. Julia @ Read and Live Well

May 4, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Great post. Anxiety and depression are serious, chronic diseases that affect quality of life and can be life-threatening for many people. And it’s so important to be able to have open, free discussions like this to encourage other people to feel safe enough to share their stories.
    I’d add – “Just drag yourself out of bed and come out” when they have no idea how proud I am of myself for getting myself out of bed everyday.
    Thanks for sharing!

May 4, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Exactly! If people knew exactly how much effort I put into getting out of bed in the morning they would be amazed!

4. Emily Crawford Morton

May 5, 2017 at 6:10 am

Yes yes yes!!! I swear if you don’t have anxiety there is no way to understand just how intense it is. “Just stop thinking about it” is all I try to do and it doesn’t even remotely work, new suggestion please lol

May 5, 2017 at 6:39 am

Haha right! Sometimes I just want to be like you can keep your suggestions to yourself

5. Jenn | The Sadness Monster

May 6, 2017 at 12:40 pm

“Stop thinking about it” is one that I hate, and of course “What do you have to be sad about? Your life is great!” There worst part is that, I don’t necessarily hear that from people I know – they were the phrases that I used to tell myself. They’re just phrases that seeped into my consciousness thanks to the media and some of its more insidious messages. And while these types of phrases are obviously untrue, it’s hard to remove them from your inner monologue once they take root.

May 6, 2017 at 12:50 pm

That’s why I hate the media I do my best to block it out!

6. What My Mental Illness has Taught Me - Nerdy Book Life

July 14, 2017 at 3:38 pm

[…] A lot of people don’t understand what mental illness is, so I have learned the best thing to do is help them understand. If you educate people on what you go through it helps them understand how your mental illness affects your daily life. Now, some people will understand and some just won’t. Those are the people who usually say “it’s all in your head.” I have a post on the phrases I hate that you can check out here. […]