Suicide is Not a Joke

Hey, Nerdy Peeps! As many of you know I struggle with depression and anxiety. I have also had suicidal thoughts because I didn’t want to carry on with life. There is always something better to live for and you are so worth the life you live.

Suicide is not a joke…

Well, I was scrolling through Facebook videos today and came across this one that was shared on a page called Now I’ve Seen Everything. It was a social experiment video about saving someone who was about to jump from a bridge. As I watched, I was dumbfounded. No one stopped to save him, no one tried to talk him out of it. People that walked by just pointed, or laughed and it was heartbreaking. Then I watched a guy pull out his phone and snap a picture. A PICTURE! Is this really what our world has come to?

Here are the original creators Instagrams: garibov.nizam  ge_le0

I kept watching and I just wanted to cry. Then finally, the first person to stop ran to this guy and convinced him to come back over. More people started stopping and some even pulled him back over the bridge wall. That is all it takes to save someone’s life! Stop and talk to them! Let them know they are worth it and that they are so much better than ending their life.

Suicide Statistics

• Suicide was the tenth leading cause of death overall in the United States, claiming the lives of more than 44,000 people.
  • Suicide was the third leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 14, and the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 15 and 34.
  • There were more than twice as many suicides (44,193) in the United States as there were homicides (17,793).

These statistics are based from 2015 and came from the National Institute of Mental Health. From this website, you can learn all the trends with suicide.

My Suicidal Thoughts

No, I have never attempted suicide, but I have had the thoughts and they are ugly. At the time I had no one to talk to, and no one would have understood anyway. So, I pretty much just dealt with it and went on. You can read about what my life consisted of before I moved to East Texas and what it is like now. Things have gotten tremendously better and I am now on medication to help with my depression and anxiety. I also have a fantastic support system that I can always turn to.

So, no suicide is not a joke! People ending their lives is not something that you should laugh about or take pictures of. Instead of laughing or taking your stupid phone out, stop and talk to the person. Make them feel loved and wanted. Give them a reason to live, show that you care.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline

Call: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Web: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

I don’t know what to leave you with today other than maybe give this a share and hopefully, it can save someone’s life!

Check out these Links to know some of my story!

My Fight

What My Mental Illness has Taught Me

A Letter to My Depression

Free Planner Pages

Join the Nerdy Book Life Family and get your planner pages!

Share the Nerdiness!Share on Facebook12Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest104Share on StumbleUpon0

1. Trupti Bhatt

September 7, 2017 at 12:50 pm

In today’s fast world, no one wants to stop for a second and try to help people. Its heart breaking just to imagine what if this video was not created to spread suicide awareness. What if this was a real incident? Those guys who helped that man did an incredible job showing him that life is valuable and worth living. However big the problem be, try to face it. If you fail, try again, but never give up. We need more humanity. Thanks for sharing this post.
    Trupti Bhatt recently posted…Finding Real HappinessMy Profile

September 7, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Yes we do! This world needs so much more positivity and love! Thanks for reading!

2. Courtney

September 7, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Thank you so much for this post. We need more reminders of just how serious suicide is and how to communicate with those who may be considering it. I’ve never been one to think suicide is funny, but I’m not going to lie I don’t know that I would be the person to go up and try to convince someone who is on the verge of publicaly committing it to stop. Mostly out of fear that I wouldn’t be able to make much of a difference. After reading this post I know that it just might.

September 7, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Anything could help! Especially just talking to the person to show you care may be the biggest help!

3. Real Women Talk 2

September 8, 2017 at 1:18 pm

This is a very important topic and I am so glad you wrote this post. Thank you! Suicide is very serious and we as a society should be more open to talk about it and other mental health issues publicly so that healing can begin. You are amazing and keep pushing through. Continue to speak your truth as you are probably helping more people than you will ever know.

September 8, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Thank you so much for reading! And yes, mental health does need to be more openly discussed!

4. Ellen

September 14, 2017 at 5:49 pm

As a country I think we need to put a priority on mental health so we can prevent more families from dealing with suicide.

September 14, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I completely agree! I feel like there is not enough education on it at all!

5. yash

September 15, 2017 at 1:17 am

Amazing article.. Thx for sharing with us. Very interesting topic

September 15, 2017 at 9:39 am

Thank you for reading!

6. Lanremadiba

September 15, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Keep up the good work. Nice write up. Suicide only ruins one more

September 15, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Thank you for reading!

7. Lisa Keifer

September 15, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Great post! It saddens me so much that there are people who would walk away from someone attempting suicide or even take a picture of it. It’s awesome of you to put this out there and give awareness to a very serious issue.

September 15, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for reading! And yes it is so sad to see people just completely ignore some in need of help!

8. Jackie

September 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Its far from a joke… and the more people understand that the better. I have heard many opinons on suicide including from my own family. Ones i dont agree with and hate repeating. But what people need to understand is that those that commit the act of suicide is the 1st time they decide something for themselves. I wish everybody could read this post! Thankyou for the statistics.

September 16, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Anytime! I have more posts on this topic planned! Thanks for reading!

9. Nadia

September 18, 2017 at 12:00 am

This is such an important issue. I feel sometimes we read about it in the news, and are affected by it. But shortly after we get caught up in our daily life and forget to lend a helping hand.
    This is a great reminder to all of us.