Mental Health Interviews, We All Have a Story
Hey, Nerdy Peeps! As you can tell by the title, I am starting a new series on my blog called, Mental Health Interviews, We All Have a Story. I wanted to start this series so that people with mental health battles can get their story out there in order for others to understand what our journey looks like.
So, I thought I would start the process and answer the questions I have come up with. You can also find my story in some many other posts and I will link them at the end of this post.
Mental Health Interview with Myself
- What is your mental health issue?
- I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and chronic depression.
- When were you diagnosed?
- I am not sure on the month but I know it was in 2015, and that is also when I started taking medication to help me with my battle.
- Do your family and friends know?
- Yes, and they are super supportive and have learned so much more about me, thanks for me sharing my story with them.
- Has your mental health issue stopped you from doing anything?
- I hate social situations with a lot of people. It gets hard to breathe and I have to stay on the outer edges so I can have a quick escape.
- What helps you the most to fight your mental health issue?
- There are a few of these. The first would be reading this is the best way to escape from my world away from all the chaos in my head. I can enter a whole new world and not worry about mine.
- Then writing would be the next one. I can get all my thoughts and feelings out of me and onto paper and it helps so much in my coping process.
- My emotional support animal (ESA) Hopper! He is the all-time best thing to ever come into my life. I can’t explain how he does it, but he knows exactly when my anxiety isn’t getting to the point where I need help with calming down and he is right there.
- Finally, would be my amazing husband. I honestly don’t know where I would be if I didn’t have him to dump all my issues out on. He is an amazing listener and gives some great advice when I need it. He’s also learned that there are times when I don’t want to talk and he will just leave me be.
- What is your advice for anyone else struggling with a mental illness?
- You are never alone. There is always someone out there who is going to listen and talk to you to help you get through whatever you are going through. Also, my other piece of advice would be to NEVER GIVE UP! You are so strong and amazing that the world will always need you in it. Hang on to whatever you can and you will make it through this mental health battle.
We All Have a Story
I want this series to be a way for people to open up about their mental health journies. Also, for them to see they are not alone. Maybe through this series, people can connect and find their mental health buddy. I remember when I felt alone when it came to my mental health and I never want anyone else to feel the way I did. These interviews are a way for people to not be scared to share their stories. They are also a way to get more education out there about different mental health issues.
Requesting an interview?
You can comment on this post with your email and I will get back to you. Or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
First interview is coming tomorrow!
Find my story and battles in these links: